← All updates

Weather Update — October 29, 2026

October 29, 2026MammothFMNoé
mammothradioeastern sierra weather

Transcript

My friends…

It’s always a beautiful day here in the Eastern Sierra. I’m Noé from eastsideweather.com, here for MammothFM in the Eastern Sierra, coming atcha with your local weather report…

My friends, I’ve been complaining for a few days now about the lack of certainty regarding our potential storm for this weekend. Well, I’m finally pleased to say that we have a good bit more confidence in the outlook for this weekend, and I’m even more ecstatic to say that the weather models are converging on us actually seeing a storm come through the area.

The reason it’s been so tricky is because it involves two low pressure systems merging with each other. Slight variations in the track of one ends up being make or break for whether or not we see snow. As of now, models are showing a slight chance of some showers preceding the main storm. These showers could begin as early as late Thursday night or Friday morning. These could result in a dusting up to an inch of snow, with snow levels right around the town of Mammoth Lakes.

The main event moves in later on Saturday. As of now, models are showing anywhere from about 4 tenths of an inch up to over one inch of liquid, with snow levels mostly below the town of Mammoth Lakes. For the town of Mammoth Lakes this means we are looking at roughly 1-4” of snow, and for Mammoth Mountain about 5-9” of snow. But this is an inherently tricky forecast so expect this to change by tomorrow’s forecast.

The mountain has officially started snowmaking operations, and this storm should bring in more cold air to help with that, which is great news. Still waiting on that first big base builder though.

November looks like it could bring more chances at storms, but we need to wait and watch for something to appear within a shorter timeframe before we can discuss any details.

And now for the weather forecast this week:

In Mammoth Lakes and the surrounding areas.

Thursday will be cloudy, then partly sunny, with a high in the low 50s, gusty winds up to 30mph and an overnight low of 31. There is a 20 percent chance of snow showers after midnight.

Friday brings a slight chance of snow before late afternoon, with little accumulation in town. It will be partly sunny with a high of 46 and a low of 29, with southwest winds gusting up to 25mph.

Saturday, snow becomes likely, mixing with rain right around town level, with a high of 44. Saturday night is the heaviest stretch: 1-4 inches possible in town, and possibly 5 to 8 inches at Main Lodge, with a low near 30.

Sunday keeps snow showers going into the early afternoon as snow levels drop below town, with a high in the mid 40s.

Monday clears out, and a slight chance of showers returns Tuesday evening.

And now down to our friends in the Owens Valley.

Thursday will be mostly cloudy with a high near 67, south winds gusting up to 18mph, and a low of 41.

Friday turns mostly sunny with a high of 64 and a low of 37.

Saturday brings a good chance of rain showers after 11am, and the steadiest rain comes overnight. Most spots get around a tenth of an inch, with up to a third possible. The high is 62 and the low is 38.

Sunday has a chance of showers until about 4pm before clearing, with a high of 61 and a low of 34.

Monday and Tuesday are sunny and dry, with highs in the mid to upper 60s.

This has been Noé for MammothFM in the Eastern Sierra. Join me over on eastsideweather.com where you can get a detailed weather forecast for anywhere in the Eastern Sierra, and read my longer range weather outlooks.

Enjoying the radio updates?

Eastside Weather is a passion project, but keeping it running comes with steady monthly costs: hosting, data feeds and the servers that crunch the model runs. Right now the site costs more than it brings in. Whatever you chip in goes straight back into keeping it going and building new tools.

Chip in on Venmo